August Newsletter: God's Work in a Pro-Life Missionary

Hello friends! This year has been very full! The importance of fighting the injustice of abortion has crept into my bones, and I believe that I am doing what I was created to do: defend the defenseless. My work with Created Equal has changed me in many ways, for one: how I look at my circumstances. Let me give you an example.

One morning this month, I was on my way to the office and a tire went flat. After work, I stopped at a shop to patch the tire. While I was there, I chatted with the owner for a while and happened to mention that I work to end abortion. He told me he didn’t agree with abortion, but that once his girlfriend became pregnant, they decided to use Plan B. He didn’t really see the similarity, that both ended a new human life, just in different ways. I attempted to explain scientifically how life begins at fertilization, while expressing sympathy for his loss. He was almost done with the tire, and

I left uncertain that he understood what I was saying. In the following days, reminders of how much my Savior has done for me consumed me, and I was regularly reminded that I missed a perfect opportunity to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with him. I had to go back. God allowed me to run over that nail, and I didn’t want to wait for another flat tire to go back. So one day after work, I headed back with some post-abortive literature and a small gospel of John, and I was able to share the gospel with him. There was once a time when I could not have recognized the possibility a larger picture. I believe God is helping me to see through His eyes, though I sure have a long way to go!

More often than not, I don’t see the harvest of my labor. However, I trust that the Lord is using me as I follow and obey His will. Occasionally, I do speak to those who change their minds on the issue of abortion, like a man who I talked with at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia this summer. He was completely blown away by the realization that abortion is injustice because it takes away the right to life from a certain group of humans, the preborn. He said that he had never thought of it as an equal rights issue, and when he left, he said: “You’ve changed my mind on the anti-abortion issue.” 
He was able to recognize – by looking at what abortion does to a preborn baby – having been given evidence that abortion ends a human life – that abortion is murder. 

The above is an excerpt from my August Newsletter. I write a newsletter each month and send it out to my donors with updates on my fundraising status. If you would like to receive my emails each month, send me your email address and I'll be in touch. God Bless.

Rachel Burkey
Administrative Coordinator
rachel@createdequal.org
www.createdequal.org

Popular posts from this blog

Curing Misconceptions About Abortion

A Crazy Week in Washington

December 2016 - Reflection