October Newsletter: Honest Abortion Advocate vs. Truth
“We’re
not just murdering children for the sake of murdering children, right? We’re
murdering children for, either one, utility, well -- probably just utility
actually.” -- Ryan
I talked to both of them for quite a while,
pointing out flaws in their arguments, answering their questions, and showing
them where their views would lead. But what stands out to me the most is that
towards the end of the conversation, Grant genuinely asked me why I care. He then
asked me if I thought it is my duty to do this, to save lives, and I said yes!
I told him that as a Christian, I cannot stay silent in the midst of this
slaughter. I care because I desire truth to prevail. I want injustice to end.
Grant then said something that made me better understand his first question.
“My original question was why do you care; my second question is the same. Why do you CARE? Because, you are living correctly, you’re probably going to make it into heaven. This transitory-ness, this particular matter-doesn’t matter.”
Ryan tried to explain why I care by giving the example of an invisible axe floating above someone’s head that I try to warn them about, but no one else could see it. Grant then repeated: “But it doesn’t make sense why you care because you’re going to make it to heaven. These other people in trouble are not you!” I shared the gospel with them and explained to them that I don’t just care about them because I think that’s my duty (though I do have a duty to share the love of Christ), but I care about them because of the love that I have in my heart that isn’t my own. I shared my faith with them, and told them that if Jesus had not given me His love for others, I couldn’t truly care. HE is what makes the difference. Please pray with me that Ryan and Grant will understand the truth of the gospel and come to know the Savior.
The month of October marks the end of my 9-month internship working with
Created Equal. My ideas for my future have been drastically changed since I was
first introduced to an effective way to fight abortion on Created Equal’s Justice Ride – back in March of 2015. My
internship may be over, but I am not going anywhere. I love what I’m doing: the
administrative tasks in the office that keep a small organization running,
being a part of our outreach team who go into the public square, and speaking
truth and love in this culture of death.
I’m heading home for the last 3 weeks in
December to fundraise as I can’t continue this work without you! Please write checks to Created Equal with "RB" in the memo line, or go to CreatedEqual.org.
Be sure to enter how much you would like to give in the bar marked “Intern RB”
so your donation will go to me specifically. Your donations are tax-deductible.
I was talking to Ryan and Grant,
two young men at the University of Akron, who were explaining their views on
human value. Grant started out the conversation by explaining that he thought
humans get their natural rights when the umbilical cord is cut, to which Ryan
pointed out that Grant was just making an arbitrary line. Grant laughingly
admitted that his view is hard to defend and needs an arbitrary line. Ryan’s
basic disagreement with my position is that I believe all humans have intrinsic
value, given to them by a Creator. He explained that he thinks humans give
humans value and went on to make the above quoted statement. If humans truly do
only have value given to them by other humans, then humans can decide that one
group of humans (like the preborn) are just a drain on society and therefore
have no value.
“My original question was why do you care; my second question is the same. Why do you CARE? Because, you are living correctly, you’re probably going to make it into heaven. This transitory-ness, this particular matter-doesn’t matter.”
Ryan tried to explain why I care by giving the example of an invisible axe floating above someone’s head that I try to warn them about, but no one else could see it. Grant then repeated: “But it doesn’t make sense why you care because you’re going to make it to heaven. These other people in trouble are not you!” I shared the gospel with them and explained to them that I don’t just care about them because I think that’s my duty (though I do have a duty to share the love of Christ), but I care about them because of the love that I have in my heart that isn’t my own. I shared my faith with them, and told them that if Jesus had not given me His love for others, I couldn’t truly care. HE is what makes the difference. Please pray with me that Ryan and Grant will understand the truth of the gospel and come to know the Savior.
Rachel Burkey
Administrative Coordinator
PO Box 360502
Columbus, OH 43236