September Newsletter: Fools Hate Knowledge - Proverbs 1:22

Proverbs 1:22 How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?

We were on campus at Columbus State Community College – the first college outreach of this fall.
“Everyone should have the right to their own body.” one man said. “Right, but abortion takes away the right to the preborn human’s body,” I replied. He paused for a moment, then said: “Have a nice day.” And he walked away. It seems as though, to some people, truth has become inferior to their own ideas. Another example of this took place later that day.


“Ma’am what do you think about abortion?” I asked another student as she walked past. “Oh, no!” She quietly said as she looked at the 15-week-aborted baby on the brochure I handed her. “I don’t think it’s ok at all.” As we discussed abortion, another woman walked past and yelled: “This is f***ing disgusting!” I agreed with her that abortion is disgusting, but then she clarified, “YOU are f***ing disgusting, these signs are disgusting!” as she left. “They reveal truth” said a bystander who overheard the woman’s insults, and then kindly thanked me for the work that I do. 

What a stark contrast! One woman sees the images, stares abortion in the face; and knows that it could never be ok. Then the second woman, when presented with the truth of what she supports, turned to insult the messengers of that truth instead of even trying to prove our message wrong. I often wonder what is at the root of the difference in their thinking. One knows that shedding innocent blood can never be acceptable, and the other has accepted the shedding of innocent blood as a “right” to the mother who may be “inconvenienced” by this new life. The first woman recognized the truth that abortion is murder as soon as she saw it. The second woman had decided to turn a blind eye to the truth, for whatever reason, and continue on in her own blind reasoning. Recalling the warning of Proverbs, to this woman truth has become inferior to her own ideas. 

This is an excerpt from my monthly support updates. If you want to receive my emails, just send me your email address! Please contact me with any questions you have about the work that I am doing, or for ways that you can be involved! I'd love to chat.

Rachel Burkey
Administrative Coordinator

Popular posts from this blog

Curing Misconceptions About Abortion

A Crazy Week in Washington

December 2016 - Reflection