“I think you may have just changed my mind.”

Jeffery
Jeffery was the kind of guy that everyone wants to talk with. He was polite, reasonable, respectful, and it was enjoyable to have a conversation with him. Even after talking with him for a while he still thought of abortion as a valid option. We talked about the circumstances that may cause someone to consider having an abortion, and why, when we base our human rights on anything other than our humanity, we diminish human equality. After I was able to answer a lot of his questions, he admitted I made sense logically, and said:

“I understand, but I still don’t think you’ve changed my mind.”

What I didn’t understand was why he was having a hard time seeing truth, so I asked him why after understanding that every successful abortion directly and intentionally kills an innocent human, after seeing what it does to the baby, would he still support it as a valid choice?

Outreach at Otterbein University
We continued to talk for a few more minutes when he told me that he once had a girlfriend who had an abortion without his knowledge. He asked me what I thought could have been done in a situation like that. It was then I realized that he felt grief over having lost a child and not having any say in that life that was taken. I told him how sorry I was for his loss, and went on to explain the resources that are available to someone in that situation or for those who are grieving the loss of a preborn child. It was after recognizing the loss that he faced, and communicating the healing that can be found, that he thanked me and said something that I won’t soon forget:

“I think you may have just changed my mind.”

This conversation took place at Ohio University, amidst an unusually large crowd of protesters who were shouting, playing vile music, making rude comments, and generally displaying human depravity. After outreach, one of my colleagues mentioned not being willing to let his son be whipped for that group of people, let alone die for their salvation. This was an excellent reminder of how magnificent God’s love is as opposed to the love of humans.
I have an incredible privilege to serve our God, the Creator of the world, who sent His Son to die for all the people that I talk to on campuses, and for me, the chief of sinners.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter celebrating our Risen Savior!

Blessings,
Rachel Burkey

“Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe; sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.”

Saying goodbye to Jami Beer, my predecessor in the Admin world here at Created Equal. I am very grateful for her example of unwavering dedication to saving preborn children!

 

Popular posts from this blog

Curing Misconceptions About Abortion

A Crazy Week in Washington

December 2016 - Reflection