“It’s actually a good thing you guys are doing, cause my conscience is affected by it.”
I greeted a passerby who was walking up from the bus stop.
“I already have one,” he said, holding up one of our Created Equal brochures. He continued:
“It’s actually
a good thing you guys are doing, cause my
conscience is affected by it.”
I was downtown
in Columbus, Ohio, just about to pack up and head back to the office with our
team of interns when I met Lamont. I was struck by the comment he made about
his conscience being affected by our outreach. He went on to explain that over
40 years ago, his girlfriend had aborted their second child without his knowledge
while he was living in selfishness. I asked how he was doing after learning
about his child that was killed by abortion, and he told me that over time he
realized that he could forgive himself since God was able to forgive him.
“You believe in
God, don’t you?” he asked. “Yes sir, I’m a Christian!” I answered. “I already
knew,” was his response.
We talked for a few more minutes, but as Lamont was about to leave, he told
me that he would be praying for me and asked me to keep him in my prayers as
well since he was dealing with a lot. I asked if I could pray with him right
then, and we did. When I finished praying for him, he prayed for me! A wave of
emotion washed over me, and I teared up as he asked our Father to keep building
a hedge around me and my family, prayed for wisdom and guidance in my life, blessing on my work, and asked God to continue using our efforts to convict the
consciences of those encountering our team in the heart of downtown Columbus.
“Be encouraged,
because I am!” he said after we prayed. “I keep a journal, and you’re going to
be in it today.”
It is conversations like the one I had with Lamont that you are enabling
to take place with your monthly support of my work. Thank you!
Our summer
internship is coming to a close, and at the end of July the interns will be
heading home. I have been blessed by many of the outreach notes they have
written. For example, Your Child is Not Your Enemy, "I Can't Believe This, I Won't Support It" and Is Murder a form of Protection? I encourage you to read these as well as more of what they are saying about their summer on
Created Equal’s blog.
Until next time, Rachel Burkey
I am indescribably grateful for your prayers! It meant so much to have Lamont pray for me during outreach, and I am overwhelmed and humbled to know that I have dozens of fellow believers keeping me in their prayers, so thank you! Click HERE and enter your gift amount in the bar marked “for Rachel Burkey” so your donation will go to me. Your donations are tax-deductible.

