Downtown Outreach - A Mind Changed!
It was a normal day of outreach in downtown Columbus, with some people stopping to converse, and others walking past.
| Downtown Columbus, OH Outreach |
In the
afternoon, a man named Omar stopped to talk. When I asked for his view on
abortion he said he had not really given it much thought but guessed that it
was probably OK early on in a pregnancy. I asked if he was familiar with what
the science of embryology shows concerning when life begins, and he replied that
he didn’t know but would guess that life begins around 4-5 weeks (after
fertilization). I then told him it’s actually fertilization when life begins. I
explained to him a bit of how we know this, and told him that through the process
of fertilization, both sperm and ovum give up their own identities and become a
distinct, whole, living human, that has her own DNA – and is
receiving/processing nutrients, maintaining homeostasis, and responding to
outside stimuli: even before attaching to the uterine wall!
“Wow.” Was all
he replied. So I asked him again, now that he knew about when life begins,
could there ever be an adequate justification for abortion? to which he said:
“It wouldn’t be
right! Wow.”
Omar was open
to hearing out a differing opinion, and after listening to facts presented to
him, was humble enough to admit that he had been wrong in his view.
After we
shook hands and he walked away I thought to myself, why aren’t more people like
that? What causes us to be so stuck in our ways and refuse to hear truth? But
of course I know the answer, it’s our sin nature.
The natural state that we are
all born into is bent towards sin and death.
![]() |
| White House Outreach |
Recently I have
had some opportunities to talk with people while donating plasma, and during
our conversations am reminded of this truth that we all are born in sin and
without Christ.
I’ve realized what a great chance this is to share the gospel
with others. Please pray for courage and wisdom for me while I seek to be
obedient to the Lord and used by Him in every area of my life.
The stories that I share, this work that I do -- is not able to continue without your monthly financial partnership. This year’s goal is to raise $350/m by December 31st, so I need
15 people to give $24/month, or
30 people to give $12/month.
Click HERE, and enter your gift amount in the bar marked “for Rachel Burkey” so your donation will go to me. Or send a check made out to “Created Equal” with my name in the memo line to: PO Box 360502 Columbus, OH 43236. Your donations are tax-deductible. Will you partner with me in this work?
God bless you!
Signing off, Rachel Burkey


