A Life Mourned

11-year-old Favour Agu

Dear Favour,
I wonder how your parents are doing. I wonder what would have happened if you had waited for the walk light. I wish I could have done more to help, though I know you were probably gone when I first saw you. Did you ever know your Creator, the God of the universe, and Jesus Christ, His Son? I hope so! Do your parents know Him? If not, I pray they will. I wish I had a chance to talk to them. My sister’s best friend was also killed in an accident when she was 11. I know that a tragedy like your family has dealt with has no quick resolution, though I also know how powerfully the peace of God and His comfort works in the lives of His children. 
Love and prayers for your family, Rachel Burkey

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On September 22nd, 2016, a middle school boy named Favour Agu was hit and killed as he ran into traffic crossing the street towards his school. The above note is what I wrote to leave by his memorial site this year. I was on my way to the YMCA that morning before work when I saw him lying in the road that day. I stopped and performed CPR on him until emergency personnel arrived.

Though I never knew Favour, his life leaves a memory that will never leave my mind. I saw notes and eulogies of what a kind person he was. Everyone at the school, all those passing by, and even those watching the news that day valued Favour’s life and mourned his death. 


Downtown FtWayne, IN outreach. This mom and her children were saddened to understand what is happening to preborn children.


The next day as I was doing outreach at a college in Indiana University, I wondered what life would be like if every person recognized the incredible value in each human around them – born or pre-born. 
It challenges me to continue seeking God for his eyes towards everyone I encounter. 

In Christ, Rachel

P.S. This last month has been really exciting for my family and me, as both my older brother Daniel and my sister Elizabeth got engaged to be married! I am really blessed by both of my soon-to-be in laws (Hannah and Jacob) and looking forward to this new season in our family. I know the Lord will continue to faithfully teach us as we grow and change as people and as a family. 

The happy couples 💕Left: Jacob and Elizabeth; Right: Daniel and Hannah




I am only able to continue this work with your monthly financial partnership. If you haven’t already, please click HERE, and enter your gift amount in the bar marked “for Rachel Burkey” so your donation will go to me. Or send a check made out to “Created Equal” with my name in the memo line to: PO Box 360502 Columbus, OH 43236. Your donations are tax-deductible.

I talked with this man named Sky at a local Columbus High School when he came to pick up his brother. At first, he said he didn’t really have an opinion, but he left decidedly against abortion. 

Popular posts from this blog

Curing Misconceptions About Abortion

A Crazy Week in Washington

December 2016 - Reflection