The Sovereignty of God, and Our Responsibility



A couple weeks ago I went canoeing with a group of believers from a friend’s church. (above picture) My canoe tipped, floated downstream, and got caught in tree brush. My canoe partner Anna and I drifted downstream towards the stuck and capsizing canoe. Anna found a log to stand on and an overhead branch to hold, before pulling me out from under the canoe where the current was keeping me, saving my life.

Every time I think of this incident, I see the Lord’s providential protection of me that day. For example: anyone other than Anna could have been with me who was not capable of pulling me out against the current; if we would have tipped any closer to the tree brush, Anna may not have had time to grab hold of the branch to keep herself from going under along with me. 
Praise the Lord for His kindness and protection! I had not often thought of every breath as a gift from God (Acts 17:25) until I almost didn’t take another one. God is so good! Even if the story was different, and God had sovereignly seen fit that I die under that canoe, He would still be good!

The sovereignty of God can lead to heated debate, but one thing on which we should all agree is God’s sovereignty does not remove our responsibility. While God willed my protection in that river, this did not remove Anna’s burden to protect me.

Similarly, we must act to rescue babies regardless of God’s sovereign will over their lives. We may not understand today why He allows evil, but still we must fight the evil. (Prov, 31:9, Psa. 82:3-4, James 1:27) 
Just as we see in Jeremiah 7:27, it’s our responsibility to obey the voice of God, in His strength, regardless of results visible to us

This was evident to me yesterday when I talked with two women downtown at a pro-abortion rally, and challenged them in their position. I asked them: “If we can kill preborn babies just because they aren’t conscious yet, who’s to stop us from killing an unconscious born humans?” I could see the proverbial wheels turning in their heads, though I didn’t see their minds immediately changed as a result of our dialogue. In conversations like these I remind myself that I'm called to be obedient, not to see results, and pray that my faithful King will continue His work in their hearts. 

When you CLICK HERE to support my ministry financially, it enables me to continue exposing the injustice of abortion and pointing the lost to Christ.  God bless you!

In Christ, Rachel Burkey

Pictures; Top-Bottom: 
1) Our tired, wet, and sweaty group after the canoe trip. 
2) While busses speed by and the racket of everyday downtown Columbus continues, one man’s life is halted by recognizing what abortion does to little babies. Summer intern Ellianna Paine answers his questions and gives a winsome case for life.
3) Dad and my youngest brother Joshua bailing hay. I went home to the farm last weekend and helped my family bring in a cutting of hay. We sure have fun working together!
4) Mom and me on the hay wagon, taking our turn baling hay.
5) Standing with Michelle Davis, (a radical pro-abortion activist in Columbus) outside “Your Choice” – a medial abortion facility. I shared the gospel with her again this day, and for the first time she reacted like she was annoyed that I cared for her. Please keep Ms. Davis in your prayers! 
6) Lisbeth Nelson, a returning summer intern shares with two children the value of human life and shows them what they once looked like while inside their mom. 




To support my ministry and allow me to continue this work, you can click here to give a secure online donation, OR mail checks for “Created Equal” with “RB” in the memo line to: 
PO Box 360502; Columbus, OH 43236

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curing Misconceptions About Abortion

A Crazy Week in Washington

December 2016 - Reflection