Divine Appointments
Psalms 3:5 “I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.”
During outreach, it can be easy for me to just respond to pro-abortion arguments and/or atheistic arguments simply with logic, presenting the facts in a concise way. Something that God has been teaching me this year is to look past the arguments and towards the heart of the person with whom I’m speaking. One of the ways I’ve done this is to ask investigative questions.
In the second photo above, I’m talking with Aaron, a student at the University of Texas, Dallas. Aaron had joined a group of protesters (topmost photo) and later he began talking with me. Something stood out to me about him, and I felt that I needed to just skip the conversation about abortion and go straight to sharing the Gospel with him, and the reason for our value as image bearers of God. He interrupted to tell me that he was “queer” almost assuming it would make a difference to me. I continued to share the Gospel, telling him how we all need the Righteousness of Jesus Christ imputed to us because of our sins. Aaron then told me he was raised in a Christian family, going to a conservative church, and though he once called himself Christian he is now agnostic. I then asked an investigative question:
“How did that change come about?”
As he told me his story, I thought about the spiritual battle we are in, and almost asked him if he has family back home that is praying for him. My guess is that the answer almost certainly would be “yes.”
Aaron heard the Gospel again in our conversation, and I was able to point him to a couple of passages in scripture to answer some of his questions. Conversations like this one that I had with Aaron aren’t coincidence. I believe that God is orchestrating every interaction that we have and am reminded of the aforementioned Psalm, that in all of life, God is Sovereign, wise, and good.
Pray with me for continued Divine appointments and for the Salvation of students like Aaron.
~Rachel Burkey
Below:
1) Talking to a student this semester in Texas
2) My dad biked out to visit me for the weekend and take me on a date. I am very blessed to have the parents/family I have!!! =)
CLICK HERE to support my ministry. God bless you!

Comments